Looking for mealtime inspiration? Search now...
Choc Gingerbread House
We are currently updating the Nutritional Table, this is a work in progress but please be sure to check back in at a later date. If you require urgent assistance with this recipe please contact us.
- 75 g butter, chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa, sifted
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1¾ cups plain flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ready made small piping bag
- 1 pkt NESTLÉ White Melts, 375g
- ALLEN’S Lollies, for decoration, as desired (we used ALLEN’S KOOL MINTS and NESTLÉ SMARTIES)
- NESTLÉ Milk CHOC BITS, for decoration, if desired
- sugared Christmas figurines, for decoration, if desired
Prep time Cook time
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add golden syrup; beat until well combined. Add egg and beat until just combined.
- Stir in NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa, baking soda, ginger, mixed spice and plain flour and mix until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth, roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
- Fold and cut a piece of A4 paper in half to form two 15 x 21cm rectangles, use paper template to cut two rectangles from dough. These will form the roof of the house. Re-roll scraps; cover and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, using one of the rectangle templates, fold one of the corners over to meet the side edge to form a 21 x 14.5cm triangle, cut out the triangle and use the template to cut two triangles this size from dough; these will form the front and back panels of the house.
- Using a small sharp knife cut a small rectangle from the long side of one of the triangles to make a door. Cut three small squares from the centre of the other triangle to make the windows.
- Bake triangles for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch; and rectangles for about 15 minutes. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make Royal Icing: Lightly whisk egg white in a bowl. Gradually add icing sugar (use extra if required to make a firm paste), whisking until smooth and combined. Stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle.
- To assemble: pipe along the long side of both triangles, push down on a square 35cm cake board or serving platter; using glasses to support panels. Pipe along the edges of each triangle. Then pipe along the one long edge of each rectangle and push down cake board to create roof, using glasses to support it and prevent it from slipping until icing is set hard.
- Use icing to attach NESTLÉ White Melts to roof, pipe icing along edges of house and across top of roof to resemble icicles and snow. Decorate with ALLEN’S lollies, NESTLÉ Milk CHOC BITS and sugared Christmas figurines as pictured or as desired.